School Counselor

Hilary Waugh

Hilary Waugh
OJH Counselor

Hello!  My name is Hilary Waugh and I am very excited to serve Oakwood Junior High as the School Counselor.  Please see below on ways I can help your student have a successful year at OJH.

Scheduling Help

Need help scheduling?  Visit our OJH Scheduling Information page.

Scheduling Information

emotional wellness

Oakwood Schools is committed to educating the whole child by providing a safe environment with challenging academics, social and emotional learning supports, health education, and family/community engagement.

What does a school counselor do?

The goal is to help all students.  In order to do so, I will provide individual, group and classroom counseling throughout the year.

Some Topics That Could Be Covered:

  • Social/Personal Development
  • Communication
  • Upstander Education
  • Coping Skills
  • Grief
  • Divorce
  • Making Friends
  • Familial Interactions
  • Stress Management

College/Career Readiness

  • Strength and Interest Surveys
  • Career Exploration
  • Education Options
  • College Exploration


  • Organization
  • Test taking skills
  • Study skills
  • Test anxiety
  • Time management



School counselors keep information confidential unless disclosure is required to prevent clear and imminent danger to the student or others, or when legal requirements demand confidential information be revealed.  Essentially, what is said in the counseling office stays in the counseling office with the following exceptions:

  • Students discuss someone hurting them
  • Students want to hurt someone else
  • And/or students want to hurt themselves. 

A school counselor will consult with appropriate professionals when in doubt as to the validity of an exception.

How to schedule an appointment

How to Schedule an Appointment


  • Email Miss Waugh
  • Complete a self-referral form outside of counselor’s office


Registration Information

New Student Enrollment

Students new to the district need the following documents to enroll in school:

  • Original Birth Certificate
  • Proof of Residency (Deed or Lease)
  • Immunization Records
  • Custody papers, if applicable

These documents are required and/or helpful for academic placement:

  • Transcript or report card
  • Test data - Iowa Tests of Basic Skills, Terra Nova, State Tests, etc.
  • IEP or 504 documentation, if applicable
  • Gifted documentation, if applicable
Please go to New Student Registration to begin the process of enrolling in Oakwood Junior High.